As appealing and effective which has been practiced type of traffic calming in our village of Atlanta in the East of Munich in recent years: in the residential areas are fun brightly painted wooden figurines on the road.
On this page, you find free templates to download and instructions on how to establish the puppet itself. It's fun and the coloring can be for example a great action for groups in the pre-school or primary school classes. In your place, can start parents to build your own wooden figures with your children!.
Read once complete the instructions before beginning, to plan the course and knowing exactly which parts you need.
These instructions may be used only for personal use. Any liability for damages resulting from production and subsequent use of the figures, is expressly excluded.
Step 1: Download templates
Select the characters themselves, which you want to connect as a wooden figure and download the corresponding PDF files.
Consider now, where you want to place the figure (see information in the last step below). The figure look to left or right? For both there is a PDF. If the figure so to be placed, that she by both sides is visible and should be painted, you download both templates belong to the character.
Drawings: Eva Orinsky
Step 2: Tools and materials
To make the figures, you will need the following resources:
* If necessary drilling machine with drill (for figures with inner spaces)
* Sandpaper (possibly ex-Sander)
* If any wood Putty and putty knife.
* Pencil and eraser.
* If necessary carbonless paper (carbon paper)
* waterproof black marker with thick, round tip.
* transparent adhesive tape or glue stick.
* Matt wood preservatives (E.g. Aqua Clou L11 "wood lacquer protect")
* Brush in various widths.
* If necessary, roll.
* different acrylic paints (water resistant)
Use low-solvent (or water-based) paints. Cyan, magenta, yellow, black and white is recommended as standard equipment. Thus, many other colors can be mixed. To get as bright, luminous colors, we recommend to buy a few more, ready mixed colors. For the skin color, we recommend an ocher tone that can be mixed with white.
* Material for placement of the figure (see section ' setting up')
Step 3: Plate material
A waterproof laminated plywood is used as the plate material. We recommend maritime pine (10-12 mm thick), as it is very weather resistant (there in the wood shop and in some hardware stores). Sawing the plate rectangular according to the dimensions of the selected figure plus a few centimeters added to (see Overview above) or get so cut them immediately at the time of purchase.
* Grind on the edges slightly, to reduce the risk of injury from sharp edges during the following steps. To do this, use a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around.
* Then grind the two surfaces of the plate thoroughly (with an ex-Sander, if any), are until it is smooth.
Step 4: Transfer outlines
If the subject only on one side of the figure is to be painted, check which side of the plate is more beautiful.
There are two ways for the transfer of outlines:
Create a large template and breaks through (easier method, depending on possible also with children according to age)
* Print the PDF pages completely on DIN-A4-Blättern. Be sure that "no page scaling" or "actual size" is selected in the print menu as print size.
* Create the horizontal rows of paper, by cutting off the left edge of the line from each sheet and overlap it with the edge of the previous sheet in this series, that the contours continue seamlessly. Assemble the sheets with adhesive tape or glue stick.
* Merge the generated paper ranks to the big picture by cutting off the top of the line of each series (except the topmost) and there glue it with the next higher number.
* Place the large template on the selected page of the wooden panel and fix it on a page by adhesive tape on the plate.
* Now place the paper between the template and plate (if enough whole area interpreted)
* Breaks through the inner and outer contours of the figure on the plate, the best edit a grid at a time.
* Solve the template carefully from the plate if you want to use it again for more copies of the same figure.
Alternative: grid method (for professionals)
* Print only the first page of the template from (cover page with little view of the whole figure)
* Transfer with pencil the small grid on the template (horizontal and vertical lines) as a large grid (see specified dimensions of the figure) on the wood panel. It is important to note that not all fields are equal according to the template.
* Now transfer pencil eye and hands free after all internal and external contours from the small template in great on the plate. Based on the vertical and horizontal grid lines.
If you want you can add still own details per pencil, the current World Cup ball adapt to E.g. football ;-)
The contours are ready, you take after again with a black marker. While you can correct small inaccuracies of drawing through or complement forgotten lines.
Step 5: Figure a saw
Provide sufficient security in the workplace and use a suitable base (such as wood blocks)
Cut out the figures by cutting off successively smaller sections along the outer contours. Professionals cut from the bottom of the plate (see photos), because cracks out if necessary on the side of less beautiful happen. It is easier for less experienced from the top.
Some characters have a gap even further inside, the cut out (for example the triangle between arm and shirt with character "Flo"). Drill first one or more holes through which the blade fits.
Step 6: Edge patching and sanding
Sanding out smaller gaps or cracks in the wood on the surface or in the edges by hand, you can filling larger with wood Putty to (then dry can be and if necessary grind). This increases overall the weather resistance.
Step 7: If any contours on back
If the character that should be placed, that it is visible from both sides and on the back, the motive is to have, print out the second version (right or left) of the print template and transferred the Interior contours as in step 4.
Step 8: Priming
It is advisable to treat the wood figure before the painting, to increase the resistance with wood preservative. The surface can be painted with a brush or a roller. Also the edges and any gaps are particularly important, use a brush for that.
Let the figure dry.
Step 9: Faces coloring pages
The coloring can be made by children.
* Make sure that the character is free of dust. Inferior paper.
* Start with the skin-colored surfaces. Make the mixture to the skin color not too piggy pink – a mixture of ochre and white appears genuine. Colour in the skin areas.
* Continue with the other surfaces in colors of your choice. We recommend bright, vibrant colors for better visibility of the figures on the distance.
* Make same-colored, adjacent areas (or inner contours that run through an area) sure that the contours then as still shine through. You will be described later.
* The eyes have a black pupil, most of the characters is a small area for other colors (blue, Brown, green) around for the IRIS. Then comes the white part of the eye. Paint a small white light point in the pupil at the end, then the eye lights properly alive!.
* Install in any remaining dents or cracks large color.
* Allow the figure among dry.
* If the color where each is too thin, yet another layer to attach color.
* Paint off after drying the front also the back. If you had installed the contours on the face in the previous step, and the motif on the back should be visible, you paint from just plain or with remaining remnants of color the back, to increase the resistance to weathering.
* Let dry also the back.
Step 10: Trace contour
* Draw up with the black marker or a thin brush and black acrylic paint the inner contours.
* For tracing the outer contours, you go along at the edge of the figure so that a few millimeters from the edge are black.
* If you used for the contours of acrylic paint, let dry again the figure.
* If the back also with the motif was painted, also draw as the inner contours.
* Let the figure dry.
Step 11: Seal the edges
Paint the edges of the figure with black paint. To hold water, the edges must could covered particularly well with color, because here the most water meets rain or penetrating and freeze in the winter, and blast off layers of wood.
Let the figure dry completely.
Step 12: Aufstellen
Select a suitable location for the figure, also after that, whether the figure is to be seen from both sides or just one side. So that she led to the cautious driving, places near the road are the most effective. The figure should be not too high, but in children go height, so it really works from afar at first glance and motorists take the foot off the gas pedal. No obstruction or danger of traffic can assume the figures however. If the figure on public property should be used, you first seek the permission of the community.
Suitable objects for the application can be for example:
* Garden fences.
* House or garage walls.
* Post signs.
* Post that is dug up or beaten into the ground.
The figure must be attached as well, that she are not independently resolve and can withstand even a storm.
There are each selected site, different fastening methods, E.g. * screw.
We wish you much fun for handicrafts and setting up your characters! We are very pleased about a couple of photos of the results.